Friday, August 30, 2013

Garibaldi and Seinfeld and Tom Wolfe

Today I finished the first draft of the Garibaldi portion of my magnum opus.  There's so much else to be said... but I need to sleep on it.
So this is how I'm doing this book.  I owe this technique to Jerry Seinfeld.  I forgt where I read this.  But apparently Jerry Seinfeld said that if you wanted to do anything big and difficult, you had to get a calendar and start.  Then every day you have to have a goal, achieve it and put a big X on that date on the calendar.  Then, and I quote, "Don't break the chain!"

Can't you just see Seinfeld saying that, with his trademark intensity?  That's how he got to be a great comic, by working on his jokes every day.  

So, I figured, if I'm ever going to be a great writer, I have to start a chain and not break it.  I got the goal from Tom Wolfe.  He became a great writer by writing ten triple-spaced pages of prose a day.  So I determined to write 2000 words, approximating ten typewritten pages, triple-spaced, a day.

I find I can do this.  I've kept the chain unbroken now for 32 days, even though I did not come up with the 2000-word quota until a couple of weeks ago. September is going to be the real test.  If I can write 2000 words a day for the 30 days of September, that will be 60,000 words, or, counting 500 words per page, 120 pages.  I plan to start the Bismarck saga as it relates to 1870 on this Sunday, September 1, 2013, so we'll just have to see if I can get 120 pages by midnight, September 30.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment